Monday, October 21, 2013

October 21

It was a pleasure to see and speak with everyone during conferences. 

Week of October 14 - 18.
Due to the short week, we spent much of our time in reading and language arts reviewing the stories, songs, and concepts that we had been studying during the previous 5 weeks.  We also delved into science with a compare/contrast of make believe mice in stories and real mice.  The children came up with a two column list, which we call a T-sheet, showing the differences between make believe and real mice. The children were then able to choose one fact and draw and label the two sides. We also used the scientific method to predict and then test the number of objects would cause a floating card to sink. We tried various objects and made the observation that heavier objects required fewer to sink the card. In math, we continued counting to ten using objects to show one-to-one correspondence.  We also created growing patterns, in which each part of the set has one more item than the previous one.

Pearson Website for Reading Street and enVision Math
As I tried to remember to each of you, this week I will start making assignments available on the website.  This is so you can access more content and activities.  I do not, at this time, expect anything to be returned to school.  Try to set aside some time each week for you Kindergartener to access this site.  There is a wealth of activities to reinforce skills we are learning in class and also many that provide enrichment to give you child a challenge if needed. I sent home a letter several weeks ago giving you your child's username and password to access the site.  If you need another copy of that, please let me know.

Handwriting
Last week I started having the children practice writing their first and last names.  I will emphasize the proper formation of letters.  We will most likely practice this at school three to four times each week. I will be assisting children at school on one letter at a time. The point here is for them to see their own progress.   I will be sending a sheet for home practice later this week. Please limit this practice to once per day.  I will also send an additional copy of the handwriting alphabet so you can help your child in proper letter formation.  At this point I am focusing on keeping the letter in the correct space on the line and that the letters are formed from the top to the bottom.  This is important because improper formation of the letters can lead to problems with reading fluency later.

Upcoming Events - Please see Mrs. Schindler's Colt Express for the most updated information.
Friday, Oct. 25 - Jeans Day. Students may wear jeans with their uniform tops or Fiesta Dinner Auction shirts. Fall Festival 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. - Children may wear their Halloween costumes to this fun evening event.

Thursday, Oct. 31 - Halloween colors shirts with uniform bottoms.  Halloween Party will start at 1:45.  Students will not wear Halloween costumes on this day.

Friday, Nov. 1 - Feast of All Saints - Mass Uniforms - Mass at 8 a.m. Eucharistic Adoration 11:15 - 11:45. Noon Dismissal.